The Institute for Environmental Analytics – based at the University of Reading – is organising a free online course aimed at professionals seeking a better understanding of environmental big data and the potential these offer to address key questions and underpin novel solutions for business.
Using an engaging mix of film, animation and written exercises, it is also relevant to anyone studying environmental topics with a general interest in big data analytics and the complexities and issues surrounding the collection, curation and application of these vast data sets.
The course starts on the 30th October (although there is a five week joining window), and requires a commitment of just 3 hours a week for 3 weeks. The course features high quality content from both the Institute for Environmental Analytics and their world-renowned collaborators. Topics covered include:
- Environmental analytics and the link to big data
- Computing power, processing and storage for environmental data
- Open data
- Challenges of working with data
- Visualising data
- Dr Jon Blower, chief technical officer, IEA
- Prof Min Chen, Professor of Scientific Visualisation Oxford e-Research Centre
- Prof Ed Hawkins, Professor of Climate Science
- Dr Victoria Bennett, STFC
- Prof David Wallom, Oxford e-Research Centre
- Paula Marti, Deimos
- Dr Tom August, CEH
YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR THE COURSE, HERE.